Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Not dumb anymore!

There is a lot of silence around me. Most of the people in the hostel have left for home to celebrate diwali. I am kind of enjoying this time.
I enjoyed the small chat with sadaf, in the mess, today. She told me about her childhood days, how she missed her grandma after she died. She was eight and a half then.

My childhood was the best period of my life till know and I guess will always remain so. And now when I look back at that time, I laugh upon myself and wonder - Omy God! What a dumb child I was….

We lived in an old government quarter with walls that were painted yellow. It was located in a farm with all those fields planted with ‘barseem’, ‘sarso’, ‘ganna’ and yes ‘munji’. The time they planted munji was the best time because that time the field was watered most. It was like a pseudo-little-river for me…..

Naniji would make me sit near her and study while she cooked food on her ‘chulha’.
All my attention would remain on the wood that was burning inside.. :)
To escape studies I sometimes hid behind the same ‘chulha’. Naniji made a song out of it.—
‘lado beti ladli..
chulhe peeche gadli…
jab ji chaha nikal li…’

These village songs…rather folk songs you call them…I have heard a lot of them. I still hear them from her.
I was in class fourth…we had a dance competition in our school. I cursed both of them for not buying me a ‘tape recorder’. ‘how do I participate now?’ I shouted. Naniji came with an instant solution. She taught me a folk song which was something like---

‘gazar ka halwa laya mera piya…..’

I sung it myself and danced on it while everybody laughed on me. :)
But I still believe I was the best…. :)
When ‘teez’ came, nanaji would make a ‘jhoola’ exclusive for the cinderella that was me….and while I enjoyed the swing both of them would sing the ‘teez special’---

‘ kachhe neem ki nimboli, saawan jaldi aiyo re…
dada door mat bihaiyo, dadi nahi bulane ki….
Mama door mat bihaiyo, mami nahi bulani ki…
……
……
……
And I would desperately wait for the line—
Nana door mat bihaiyo, nani nahi bulane ki….

Nanaji called naniji by her name 'shiksha'.
And I used to think that every man in this world calls her wife as ‘shiksha’. I never knew it was her name. I mean she was ‘amma’! thats it!..why did she need a name!
(it was much later that I was ‘informed’ that I was just too stupid!)

And yes that poor old black and white 36 years old television that introduced me to vyomkesh bakshi...potli baba ki…vikram betal….alif laila …I loved them all…..

When we got a phone connection I was given the privilege to make the first call. I called my friend just to know if she has taken my ’50 paisa’ pencil with her!
I was so enthusiastic every small thing that was brought into the house.
I was the happiest person on earth when we got a refrigerator. After all I would not rush with that 25 paisa coin to buy that small piece of ‘burf’ for my ‘rasna’.
That was my little paradise..and was the only princess… :)
I thought I was the most beautiful girl on earth. And when I came in class 5th I strongly felt that I should be take to a ‘parlour’ instead of the ‘local nai’.
And I hate that sick teacher who failed me in poem recitation. I mean how can you fail someone in that small an age!...i was just in K.G then!
(* That was the only time I failed before coming to college!)

ahh…I guess I can write pages on that….

Now I keep telling them that I have grown and matured…I have learned the ways of the world and stuff like that…
But they strongly believe that I was too dumb to improve….
They think their child is the most innocent girl on this earth. I was dumb..alright..but come on…I have come a long way now….see I have my own view points about things..i can argue with them now…I have started liking english numbers…wearing branded stuff….using orkut….i am socially more active then they were at my age!...those folk songs…home stiched frocks….plastic hairbands….they all form a long lost story!....

But then I still miss those fields…the old chulha…the black and white television…the tainted mirror….the yellow walls of the government quarter….and everything that made me dumb!...... :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

As they say, life comes a full circle.....you are approaching the starting point...

Abhishek said...

very touching................
i enjoy your blog........really good one

Rupali Tyagi said...

thanks dumchi!! :)

Unknown said...

hey its 2 gud.....keep it up

SHIKHAR said...

hey, i read it again.
and i must say that i am impressed.
the first time i read it, i rushed through it but this time i went nice and slow.
i mean the simle candid confessions and all were real good.
but according to what you wrote, it seems to me that you were much smarter before.
just kidding.or am i??!!

Anonymous said...

u simply poured ur heart out there...that's al i can say:)

Unknown said...

ummm interestin
a bitta my types
u rock ....
Kepp up d gud work

Nandita Mathews said...

I am simply speechless!a very moving post and you potray the rustic image with such clarity and ingenuity!

Anonymous said...

Nice article. U almost made me senti.:P Really liked the detailed description of ur bachpan ka house. All have memories and particularly childhood memories are something to be treasured.:) All those things are so so realistic about remembering the old programmes coz even I remember when I was small seeing a sunday evening film on television (in those days.. I mean am 27 yrs old now so when I was in 5th. standard may be around 1986 there were no sattellite channels only doordarshan and there used to be a film every sunday at 5.30 pm or something.:) ) so at that time with no other channels beaming any programmes and movies on tv. being juz limited to 1 a week, the full atmosphere was different.:) It was not the movie that counted but the whole ambience.. like we used to complete our homework and all early. No cricket playing on that day.. wud get ready for the film and will not leave the tv set until its finished. All important work would be postponed etc. Then in the morning too, there was one programme "HE-MAN" which was one of the important programmes:P with pogo channels not available and parents saying a big NO to bring in cartoon video cassettes on fear of making us academically weak, we relied on that morning cartoon shows.:) Though now, so many channels, movie on demand dvd rental companies etc. The new generation will never know the value of these 'movies' or 'cartoon shows' ha ha ha... In short this is my second trip to ur blog today, found your writing style very simple and 'bindaas' and therefore juz felt like reading some old articles too.(actually sumhow bumped into ur blog, so left a comment on ur latest articles earlier, but juz was curious to read other articles:P so now when a bit free, returned here.. Still lot to read but time doesn't permitt so will visit sometime in future, pretty soon, so juz writing this comment over here whatever is the first reaction after reading this post) So juz felt like revisting this blog and lo.. am here reading this article but I muz admit it was worth reading.. Really old memories yaad aa gaye.. and this topic even contained a great deal of innocense.. viz. "Nanaji called naniji by her name 'shiksha'.
And I used to think that every man in this world calls her wife as ‘shiksha’. I never knew it was her name" ha ha ha.. Ya that time is such that all laugh at you but for us we ponder why all are laughing.. ha ha ha.. I had a similar experience but much more sorta high rated:P I had one friend of mine in school and once he was absent so he came home to take notes. Then it started raining so he called his dad to take him back home as it was raining heavily. So his dad came home driving the car himself and he parked the car outside our bunglow and came in wearing a cap (that rain coat wala cap) So mom n dad were at home, so hi-hellos were exchanged and after a cup of coffee and some bhajias they both left. That was the first time I saw his dad, as when other times when I went to his home, then I would not stay for long durations and his dad returned home late. A month later I missed a couple of days in school, so this time I went to his house to take down the notes which I have missed. It was a holiday and his dad n mom were sleeping in their room and I was in my friend's room chatting away and taking down notes.Thoda masti thoda padai (actually remembering karan johar after reading this post.:P.. ) An hour later his dad woke up and came to our room carrying a plate of cream biscuits and orange juice. Instead of greeting uncle, I was seeing him with a stern look and juz as he left frm the room I asked this 'UNFORGETTABLE QUESTION' I will state that in hindi, as and how I asked it to retain its origin flavour:p I asked my friend.- "yeh kaun the.?" So my friend answered " arrey yeh toh mere daddy hai." So I maintaining a serious face asked " LEKIN USS DIN TOH TERE DADDY KOI AUR THE, AUR AAJ KOI AUR HAI, TOH WOH ALAG WALE DADDY THE NA." Gosh I still can't help laughing on my foolishness. I was so dumb. Actually I didn't knew the meaning of what I was asking and didn't knew ki two dads nahi ho sakta kisi ko (under standard conditions.:P ) Really was so so so Dumb. My friend cool hokar answer kiya " Nahi akshat, uss din daddy ne cap pehna tha, so tu ne assume kiya hoga ki unko baal hai, but he is bald so issiliye tu aaj pehchaan nahi paaya, aur uss din unhone chashma pehana tha kyoonki unko long sight ka chashma hai so woh pehante hai while driving aur ghar par nahi pahente issiliye aaj chashma nahi hai, issiliye tujhe aur confusion huva hoga, Uss din woh fully dressed up the, aaj baniyaan mein the so tu pehchaan nahi saka shayad." HA HA HA.. ofcourse Aisa hi huva tha, but I still can't laughing at my silly question.. When I came back home and told mom and dad about my dilema, they were laughing like anything. Mom almost had the tea which she was sipping coming out from her nose.:D. And I was thinking why are they laughing on such a "serious" issue.ha! ha! Actually that guy is still my closest friend (I really marvel, how my friends tolerate me so much.:P but yeah they do somehow) Sahi hai woh age old saying. God musibat dete hai, then usko sehne ki taakat bhi dete hai. he he!!!. ---AKSHAT..