Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Tea is not my cup of tea!

That might sound an odd title to start my first blog with...But since that is what may reveal to you why 'i m nostalgic', i will surely go ahead.
I am a person who gets attached to anything and everything. I have a certain nostalgia for my childhood days. No wonder i am greatly attached to my maternal grandparents who brought me up. I relate my life, my very existance with them. They made me what i am. They taught me all lessons of patience, honesty, culture and life.
I could still remember how my nanaji(my grandpa) rode his old bicycle to a nearby village in heavy rains just because i was 'feeling like eating mangoes'. He was all wet and shivering with cold when he gave me that most delicious mango i ever had in my life...
I could still remember my amma(grandma) giving me imlas(dictations) so that i do not rank low in class. She was very strict when it came to studies. That is more than one can expect from someone who had only had her primary education!

I still remember how they both heard all the non-sense that i uttered after coming to school. Nanaji remained very worried about my low grades in maths. He used to take me with him to the garden. While he did his gardening he used to hear from me all the tables, prime numbers etc that i was supposed to know.

I still remember the day when he bought me a new bicycle and ran after me when i rode it so that i do not fall. He gifted me an alarm clock on my birthday and said "Its very important to be punctual and value time". (Though i could never become punctual as he wanted me to be:))
I still remember how amma would make 'gajar ka halwa' and 'til ke laddoo' on my birthdays(and she still does it without a miss) inspite of having a severe backache.

I still remember how she allowed me to talk to guys despite her strong disliking. She is much of a narrowminded person or rather we have a 'two generations gap' between us. Still she never stopped me from anything that was out of her realms of transgression.

I still remember how they never called me when i went to college so that i may learn to live without them.
I still remember how they boasted in front of all relatives and aquaintances how i never spoke a lie, how well mannered i was, how nice chhapaties i made, how i had never tasted tea.....
They felt a certain sense of pride when they told others that i have never even tasted tea. And somewhere inside i also felt the same kind of strange pride. Whenever someone offered me tea i simply,bluntly said "I do not drink tea. I have never tasted it, you see...."And true enough, i never tried to taste tea and i never wanted to. Even three years after leaving home i never thought of tasting tea because if i taste it, back home my nanaji and amma must still be saying to someone "she never drinks tea. She has never tasted it you see..."
Tea, certainly is not my cup of tea!

14 comments:

Adroit said...

Very well written...can feel the nostalgia creeping in..feel like the reader is a part of the thought process as well..something,one can relate to very well.

Still,do ve a grouse...m quite sure tht u never scored low in Mathematics!

anurag said...

Good, keep it up !

Memories and past become dear to us every passing day. Its painful to scavenge through them, but there is a certain pleasure in that pain, may be of purest form. There is certain romanticism attached to even worst of the memories. Honestly analysing past, knowing your roots, sincerely experiencing the air you breathe, always keeps one grounded and human.

Write more often

-anurag

Anonymous said...

I dont read blog as such but this was simply awesome ..... what i liked in it that same use to happen in most tyagi famlies; parents like to tell that out children do not drink tea .... it not just about tea... it's about how well you selected a heading and how well you closed the topic... genuinly impressed..

With Regards
@nugr@h @trey@

Lazy Spook said...

hey!
tht was a nice read! u got a hand in writing & painting ur emotions... keep it up! :)

......... said...

Well I don`t have such an artistic touch but really you write fantastic. Keep writing, we are waiting to read.

Anonymous said...

gud work
keep writing.......

Indrajit said...

well, to comment
would mean demeaning such
Written Delights..
gr888

Anonymous said...

As you have written u r simple..
so try to use simple language to express any view..
apart from this ur thoughts are really good..if belongs to you..
have a nice time always
:)

Anonymous said...

hi......
dis blog unveils d anothr side of ur prsonna.i think rupali comprises of 2 parts.one is full of human things like luv,hatred,emotions n so on.the othr 1 iz smthn else.i'll describe it latr.....u knw d major chunk of ur personality is of humanity(vich includes all kinds of feelings n emotions).n this is d only thing dat maks u write this blog,dat maks u luv ur grndparents this much.but there z an othr side 2.in this part u hv a lot of strggle,a lot of brainy exercise.N THIS PART OF UR PERSONALITY MAKES U WRITE D ANOTHR BLOG THAT IS 'VATS D PNT'.may be u nvr get a satisfactory answer 4 this,may b u nevr get mollified wid this pnt theory bt jst keep tryin 2 coclude a true truth.jst keep tryin 2 find d logic of the point.
u knw dat blog of urs(d point one) was a differnt 1 to me n i cunt resist ma hands frm writin u all this.may b i can nvr explain vat i think.ths z my helplessness.i jst wanna find out if u 2 feel d same kinda helplessness.
take care.

Anonymous said...

very well written KATTO!!!

Rupali Tyagi said...

hey bhai..i know it is u ;)

Unknown said...

:) First of all, I must congratulate myself as today completed reading this full blog, ie. each n every article in this blog and its comments.:) Juz kidding yaar, no congrats needed but I really enjoyed the full blog and the articles on which I commented. This was a nice read so keep writting more articles, wud luv to read them:). Arrey, forgot to comment on the article I juz read.:P this too was a nice article as most of the articles in this blog (barring one or two posts which were pathetic:P) But by and large a nice, down to earth and honest blog.:) . Rupali tea is good yaar, for health reasons.. if taken in limits.. Its one of the best anti-oxident which removes all toxics from our body. Apart from that tea drinkers world over have been found with higher bone mineral densities than non-drinkers which makes the bones of tea drinkers stronger.. Apart from that it is a known fact that drinking tea, reduces the risk of cancer as it works against the cells producing cancers in humans.. It is also known now that tea is a cholestrol reducer as well and keeps bad chloestrol at bay.. It is one of the best rehydrator, only next to water. Actually my clients in china drink so many cups of tea there and as they say they drink tea more than water:P and am telling this for the normal tea which we consume (oops! we bole tho, not u included but what regular tea drinkers in India consume. ha ha ha!) And green tea alongwith these qualities of the normal tea has additional qualities which is instrumental in weight loss, anti wrinkle is one of the key formulaes of green tea etc. etc. So in short tea drinking, either green or normal, is good and is not harmful at all.. So Miss, no applause for your not drinking tea at all.. But yeah u deserve full appreciation for the fact that you always remembered your nanaji and naniji whenever you were offered some tea.:) It was a real sweet effect after reading the lines :- "Even three years after leaving home i never thought of tasting tea because if i taste it, back home my nanaji and amma must still be saying to someone "she never drinks tea. She has never tasted it you see..." This really shows the affection you have to them and your sincerety and this is the thing wic is absent nowadays in most people. The tragedy is this thing can't be induced into people no matter how much you spend:) neither can it be learnt, nor purchased at any cost:) but these things are inbuilt:) and really rupali never change with this maddening world coz. these qualities in you are really really precious and really speaking such people are very few nowadays:). Some credit must even (no much credit:P) go to your grandparents because these things cultivates itself over a large period of time and its juz cultivated by getting and giving pure love and care.. So u r really lucky to have had such a nice childhood.:) Ofcourse I belong to the same lucky species too:P but I was with my parents throughout visiting my granny and grandpa during summer vacations.. or some special occasions but I know quite a few who aren't so lucky and it shows in their mindset they have very less sensitivity, no family values juz they are nothing less than a money making machine or materialist hunters.. Ofcourse money is important and its not anything wrong with that but forgetting everything else is wrong and an equal balance should be there between ur proffession and personal life but such people don't know the real essence of a personal life as what they have seen they will understand only that. How can a person know the taste of some fruit which he has never tasted.:) And nowadays this phenomena is on a rise as parents don't have time for children with families shrinking to nuclear size there are juz parents and kids and with double income strategy with both parents working and ample job opportunities and the ease at which every homely work can be outsourced viz. maid for work, dominoes etc. for a fast dinner.. the basic touch of a household is getting lost and naturally a child who is himself stressed out with so many homework and stiff competition in school, he is in a constant pressure to perform.. Anyways sometimes I really consider myself lucky to be born in the 80's as if I had been born nowadays I juz wud have missed many many things the memories, the values, the life style etc. which the new generation can never experience.. Ok so now finished with the entire blog.:) It was a nice read. Keep writing such simpler stuff wic is a welcome respite from some blogs which use "bhaari barkam" words but no matter:).. Some cooked up topics but no feelings.. Take care and happy blogging.!!!-- Akshat..

PS:- I WAS NOT PAID BY ANY TEA COMPANY FOR POSTING THIS COMMENT:P. I DON'T POSSESS ANY TEA ESTATE AS WELL..:P

Rajeev Shukla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rajeev Shukla said...

I still read it when ever I fell like that I can't make it up to my family standards.